Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Goodbye coffee, hello green tea

I've always struggled with my weight. Two years ago, I finally decided it was time to get in shape, and I lost about 35 pounds...then gained 15, then lost 10, and on and on and on. It's been a merry-go-round, and it's incredibly frustrating. I have nobody to blame but myself, but that doesn't stop that feeling of frustration and sometimes even hopelessness.

A couple months ago, I got back to it - started eating healthier and exercising again. I actually really enjoy working out once I get into the routine, it's just that when I break that routine, it's too easy to forget about it, and that's where I always get into trouble. I have incentive with summer coming and wanting to buy some new clothes, plus one of my best childhood friends is getting married in five weeks.

The thing is, I've been doing this for a couple months and not seeing much of a change. Well, I see a change, but my clothes are fitting the same. How is that even possible? How is possible to walk 90 minutes a day, cut way back on calories, and not lose more and at a faster rate? I just don't get it. The old me would have given up by now, but if anything, this is just making me work harder.

Also, I have extra incentive now. In two weeks, the friend who's getting married in June is having a bridal shower and bachelorette party. It's not like I'm expecting a miracle in the next two weeks, but I'm hoping to figure out whatever is making me plateau and bust through it. Today I added in some extra cardio to my workout, and starting tomorrow, I'm going to stop drinking coffee during the week. Why? Coffee is calorie free, but I hate the taste of it without sugar! I've cut back on my sugar, but if I cut back any more, it won't be worth drinking, so I'm just not going to drink it. If I can manage to do that, I'll be saving myself between 2 and 4 teaspoons of sugar every day (32-65 calories a day), and at this point every calorie counts. It may not seem like much in a day, but that's 160-325 calories in a 5-day span. I'm hoping that drinking the unsweetened tea will help my taste buds adapt to less sugar in my coffee, so that when I do have coffee on the weekends, I can add less sugar. Even though I don't really like green tea, it's supposed to be good for weight loss, and it's an anti-oxidant, which is always a plus. 

I don't really like the taste of green tea, but somehow it's less painful in my awesome penguin mug ;-)
I'm really excited about the bridal shower and bachelorette party. I went to school with a lot of the girls that will be going, and I haven't seen most of them in years. Plus, the last time I went to a club was for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party when she married my brother five and a half years ago. I used to go clubbing almost every weekend in college, but then got away from it because I didn't have anyone to go with. I'm really shy and kind of self-conscious, so I'm hoping that losing even a few more pounds before then will give my confidence a little boost, and I'm hoping to get a new outfit that I feel good in. Expect updates!

No comments: