Thursday, May 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Bono!

I mentioned in yesterday's post that one thing you need to know about me is that I love U2. They've been my favorite band for many years, and I've seen them live three times (the most recent being just 10 months ago).


I know a lot of people don't like Bono, and think he's a pompous ass, but I love him. Sure, he can be a little full of himself at times, but he's got a wild imagination and big dreams. He wants to change the world - what's wrong with that? He's passionate and compassionate, and he has a talent for singing and songwriting that's unparalleled (in my humble opinion). 

U2's music has gotten me through good times and bad. It's been the soundtrack of my life through joy and sorrow, and there have been times when it's been one of the only things keeping me sane. Whenever I'm lonely, Bono is there whispering in my ear, singing about love and heartache and life and friendship, and keeping me company. When my beloved Grama died nine months ago, I was listening to U2 when I found out. She was in the hospital, and we knew it was inevitable, and while my mum and aunt and cousins were with her, I was stuck at home waiting for the news. I had just started to listen to Kite, and as Bono crooned to me about love and loss, I knew she was gone, and that was when my mum called. It seemed fitting.

"Something is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it is
I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did
.....
Who's to say where the wind will take you?
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around?
I don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye."
~Kite - U2~


Not only do I love their music, I love the camaraderie among their fans. I've made some good friends on U2 fan forums; their music has brought my sister-in-law and me closer (she's the person I've been to all three concerts with); and I even met a great new friend in line at their last show (we only spent a day together, but we've been in touch every day since). I even thanked the boys in the acknowledgements of my novel. I didn't care how silly it may seem to some people, it was something I felt needed to be done because of all their music has meant to me. I also mentioned a few of their songs in the book, and how their music had become the soundtrack of the characters' lives.


My most memorable Bono moment: when my sister-in-law and I saw them in July, we made it into the pit in the third row, with Bono to our left. We were so close, it was a dream come true. Near the end when Bono came swinging out on his suspended microphone, he swung over to our side of the stage and stopped. I'd been having issues with my camera all night - sometimes when I pushed the shutter, nothing happened - and of course, it happened at that exact moment. I clicked and clicked and clicked, but nothing happened, and then suddenly I realized he was still there, hanging from his microphone, and looking at me...waiting for me to get my shot. My camera finally worked, I got the shot, and Bono swung away. Best. Moment. Ever. After that, I just switched to video so I wouldn't have to worry about my touchy shutter.


So, happy birthday to Bono, a musical genius, a man who has changed lives, and who dreams big, and who strives to change the world. 

 






No comments: