Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mums, grandmas, and aunts out there!

I’m very lucky to have a mother who is not only my mum, but also my best friend, partner in crime, and secret keeper. I was also very lucky up until ten months ago, when she passed away, to have the most amazing Grama in the world. These two women have shaped me, inspired me, and encouraged me every day of my life, and for that I am truly blessed and truly grateful.
My life hasn’t been the same since my Grama died. My mum’s and my lives pretty much revolved around her, and the day she died, a bright light went out in the world, and she left a huge hole in our hearts and in our lives. Grama and I were kindred spirits, and we could spend hours talking about anything and everything. I'm so incredibly thankful that my mum and I have each other to lean on. 


A lot of people hope and pray that they don’t turn into their mothers. For me, it’s the opposite, and here are just a few reasons why:
*My mum is the kindest person I know.
*She’s funny. She’s funniest when she’s not trying to be, and I love that.
*She’s a survivor. She makes the best out of any situation. She hasn’t exactly had an easy life, and she’s suffered a lot of loss, but she somehow manages to stay positive and keep her head up and keep going, no matter how hard things get.
*She’s incredibly loyal.
*She'd do anything for anyone.
*She’s incredibly smart, but she’s never condescending or preachy.
*Everyone loves her. From the time I was little, my friends always loved her, wished she was their mother, and even called her Mum. She makes friends wherever she goes - the grocery store, the bus, the library. She’s just so genuinely nice, and there’s not a fake bone in her body. People are just drawn to her.
***On a side note, my Grama was all these things, too. Everyone loved her the instant they met her. I strive to be like them - they are my role models, my inspirations in life, and my heroes.



No comments: